Thread: Timberline Saw sharpener

Timberline Saw sharpener

I have always sharpened my chains by files and and have no problems in keeping a sharp edge. With the ever growing amount of timber cutting I am now doing I went looking for a simpler and quicker method of sharpening chains.

I purchased a <a href="https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/">Timberline</a> sharpener from the states and a weeks turn around for delivery was great. They are not cheap but once the unit is opened up you can understand that you have purchased a quality piece of machinery well built and designed to last a while.

Last night I gave it a try on a chain which was near new and had dulled lightly due to a cut through some dirt attached to a back of a log the other day. Two minutes of setting up and after 10 minutes all were sharpened with ease. I believe next time I could cut that time in half again as the initial use needs a little set up and getting used too. Its quick, its accurate and very repetitive in its use. The sharpening is a couple of quick turns of the handle and then you are onto the next tooth. The angle is perfect for sharpening and is exactly the same on each tooth which will make the chain last a lot longer.

Video of it in use, https://youtu.be/VWe9qJITc8E

Will give it a cut on the weekend and see just how well it has sharpened. Its not the cheapest method to start with but I am sure that it will pay for itself over this winter keeping the house warm.

GG
    Last edited by GGV8Cruza; 12-06-15 at 10:55 AM.

No, it doesn't leak oil. Redback's Avatar
    We have a GMC electric sharpener, it's brilliant, simple to setup and easy to use, and does a great job of sharpening the chain on our Stihl Wood Boss, got it from Bunnings for $39.95, there are all sorts of brands now all over Ebay, ranging from $39 to over $200.

I think that would be good for when out camping, I was looking at a new 12v sharpener, but might hunt one of those down.
    Last edited by Redback; 12-06-15 at 11:41 AM.
    Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 (With the Lot)
    Lightweight Camper
    2000 BMW F650 GS
    1973 Kawasaki H2-A Project Now Finished
    2007 VW Golf Mk V TDi

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

I temember looking at these a few years ago Garrick , they come across as a quality bit of gear , and i may of purchased one ,if i had of found one that i could buy , wouldnt ship over here for some reason , a link to where you got it from may intrest some
    I like the way in that once set up ,that should be it ,and as you said the chain is filed exactly all the same
    Good pick up GG
    Cheers

Thanks for sharing that's a brilliant setup I will also go looking
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Timberlinesharpener.com should work

GG

Busy planning trips and mods... Red GU's Avatar
    Add me to the list of potential customers, sounds great and good to hear first hand experience.

Dave
    Dave and Fiona

The only thing i don't like about the timberline is that it does not file the depth gauge.
    The depth gauge determines how much wood is cut when the chain is pulled through it. Every time you sharpen your chain, the cutter gets lower. If the depth guide isnít lowered as well, your chain will start to cut thinner chips. Eventually you will find it wonít cut due to the gauge being too high.
    Be nice if they modify the unit to to do it.

Cheers
    Robert
    2007 D4D GXL Prado

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Looks a well made bit of kit. It comes with 3 files does it GG? Are they all the one size?

Quote Originally Posted by mattsglxr View Post
    Looks a well made bit of kit. It comes with 3 files does it GG? Are they all the one size?
    You pick the size appropriate to your chain. I bought 3 so i have enough in reserve and too save future postage costs from the states

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Redback View Post
    We have a GMC electric sharpener, it's brilliant, simple to setup and easy to use, and does a great job of sharpening the chain on our Stihl Wood Boss, got it from Bunnings for $39.95, there are all sorts of brands now all over Ebay, ranging from $39 to over $200.

I think that would be good for when out camping, I was looking at a new 12v sharpener, but might hunt one of those down.
    Being a fan of the scalloped side cut of standard chains
    I am lining up for the Timberline too. Getting too old in the eyes for my 12volt rotary file ;-D
    I have used the straight cut chain the GMC and others produce and thought the strike prone to bite and stall the saw.
    There is another.. Powersharp system - or sounds like - and it too favors a top edge cut only. That system has its own bar, chain and "snap-on" sharpener the saw sharpens itself with.
    The big drawcard for both is portability and accuracy.
    Not wanting to use propritary chain I reckon the Timberline
    gets my money.

Shad
    -- riding de desert ship wif no saddle