Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay LED Light bars

eBay LED Light bars

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recent experience with LED light bars from eBay? I'm considering taking the plunge, and am looking at the following unit:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/43inch-21...item4d21d44e81

The price is very attractive.

My concerns:
    * Is it worth paying more for the CREE LEDs? At almost twice the price, are they really twice as good?
    * 3W vs 5W vs 10W? The dual-row 3W lights have been around for ages, but that probably means all the kinks have been worked out of the design. 10W bars still seem thin on the ground, are expensive, and max out at about 30". 5W seems to be a good spot for recent tech, but not bleeding edge?
    * Mounting. I don't really like the mounting brackets on that one above - I prefer the style with the multiple feet that you can adjust along the bar to suit. That said, the simple end-bracket style will actually work better for me in the spot I'm thinking of mounting it (front of the roof basket). I might actually weld up better mounting brackets and just bolt the bar onto them. Am I overthinking it?

I'm trying to hold off because I really don't do that much night driving. But I've not mucked around with the car for a long time, so I'm getting itchy feet to do something.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Matto
    Chickens dig panel damage

Sunyee has a pretty good reputation for selling a decent product...

I've got a set of the KORR CREE 90w lights, and they are brilliant for what I paid for them, although I will be making new mounts, as the "stainless" mounting brackets are rusting after a couple of months on the car...

For the price, with a 2 year warranty, it's hard to go past, isn't it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrewXT View Post
    For the price, with a 2 year warranty, it's hard to go past, isn't it?
    It is indeed Drew.

I'm worried about the construction quality, but surely they've made enough of them by now that all the old problems of condensation, etc, have all been sorted. Your experience with the stainless brackets mirrors mine on some cheap imported goods, which makes me wary. As you say though, if that's the biggest problem that you've got with your lights, then happy days.

We'll see. I really should save my money, but at only $140...

Cheers,
    Matto

G'day Matto , I'm pretty sure this is the mob that I brought my lightbar from , and it's been faultless , I've even managed to run it over ( bad brackets made by me that I should have changed way earlier) and it still works fine
    If I can scrape a free day somewhere I will remount it in the new bar I have sitting in the shed . Mine was the 20-22" inch jobbie , and threw out some good light
    Cheers

Just bought a 23" 144w version with 2 rows half spot half flood.
    Make sure they have a good power supply, but other than that they seem fine.
    Gonna mount it up on the weekend.
    Cheers Jon

For the price you really couldn't go wrong. I know a bloke that has decked out all his trucks, quads and cars and 4wds that are all used for a police contract he has with lighting he has bought off sunyee and he highly recommends his stuff to everyone
    WALKABOUT 4WD & Camping Accessories www.gowalkabout.com.au

WALKABOUT Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/gowalkabout?ref=hl

I'm not bogged! It's called 'Strategic Recovery Practice'. twelvepointfour's Avatar
    My previous lightbar was from sunyee I think, and it was brilliant. Only 20 inch, 10w cree leds, and it was perfect until someone knocked it off. Today I went ahead and bought a replacement THIS ONE so I can let you know how that goes next week when I wire it up if you like.
    Chris

Matt, heres a cree LED bar cheap http://www.oo.com.au/Cree-LED-Bar-Sp...08540000615926

They are the same watt and lumens. not sure myself the difference cree makes
    Last edited by Zed; 18-09-14 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks for the info everyone.

After some tape-measuring this morning, I'm kinda thinking that a 43" bar might simply be too long. I may need to scale back to a 30" bar. I'll mock something up over the weekend and see what it would look like, how the brackets might work, etc.

Chris - will be VERY interested to hear how you get on with your new one - please keep me up to date with your progress.

Graham - "I even managed to run over it" - I see you're already familiar with my work! That's exactly something I'd do, so glad to hear it stood up to that level of abuse.

Cheers all!
    Matto

i had a look at the 22inch lightbars on e.bay today, the range and price is mind blowing. now for the big one should i or shouldnt i, ha ha. just one thing i noticed what does the wiring kit involve and can you use youre existing wiring for youre spotties to power these light bars up