Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Maintenance and Mods

Seriously Hooked
    Thanks for the link Graham. It'll come in handy for sure.

Already downloaded one for the 034-036 family. I have also downloaded for the 009 and the MS441, and have the MS241 on the go right now.
    Regards
    Graham

2014 200 Series GXL Landcruiser, ARB GVM Upgrade, ARB bulbar, GME 80ch UHF, rear storage system, split battery system, snorkel, torque converter lockup kit.

Graham99 I have a question for the guru I need a new bar and chain on my 026 and it also needs a little adjustment as it would not idle when I last used it I had to keep it revving a little any advise would be great
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Forum Apparel https://4wdadventurers.bigcartel.com/

Follow ujs on Insta and Facebook @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Facebook Thanks Greg

Hello Pacs

I'll start with the easy part. The 026 should pull an 18" bar using 3/8 chain. Put a semi chisel on it as it will respond better to dirty timber. The full chisel chains cut faster but die a lot quicker in dirty timber. If you want a bit more oomph out of it then go with a 16" bar.

Normally I would look at the following bar/powerhead combos
    ~50cc = 16" - 18" bar
    ~60cc = 18" - 20" bar
    ~70cc = 20" - 25" bar and so on.

Now for the idling part.
    First steps are to clean the plug and air filter, and then make up a fresh batch of fuel. Put some decent branded 95 octane in it and mix it up at 40:1 with a full synthetic 2 stroke oil. Give that a go and see if it still wont idle. Stale fuel can be 90% of the problem. If you can find a decent log to bog into in order to give it a workout that will help too. There is also a fuel line filter in the tank, check that out too. Lastly, check all the vacuum lines on the carburettor. If they are OK then we can move onto the next steps.

When you say it doesnt idle, does it die straight away, or does it idle for 30 seconds and then die? Idle adjustments on chainsaws are related to the idle screw and the Low Speed mixture adjustment screw. To start off I would wind the idle screw in and see if it will idle at a high speed. If it does, great. If not then you need to move onto the Low seed screw. Start off by winding fully in and then coming 1 turn out. If it idles after that then reset the idle speed screw so that the chain is just not spinning. If it doesnt then open the low speed screw a little more.

Unfortunately if you have adjusted these two screws, you may as well do the high speed screw too. I tune a manual saw so that it just starts to "4 stroke" (sounds like a rev limiter) but then cleans up to a steady note going into the cut. Dont run it at wide open throttle out of the log for any longer than you need to.

Here is a video of a saw that is 4 stroking at wide open throttle.

If that doesnt fix it then you may have an air leak somewhere. Then the fun begins, and if you are not confident I would take it to a shop.

Pity you are so far away, otherwise I would happily help. The Stihl 026 is the beginning of the pro saw range, and are a great 50cc saw that will last for many years.

Hope this helps, if it doesnt help then post up again and we will see where we go from there.
    Last edited by Graham99; 26-09-12 at 08:20 PM.
    Regards
    Graham

2014 200 Series GXL Landcruiser, ARB GVM Upgrade, ARB bulbar, GME 80ch UHF, rear storage system, split battery system, snorkel, torque converter lockup kit.

Thanks so much for all that great information and advise Graham99 ill let you know how I go and yeah the fuel had been sitting for at least a month or longer mate
    Fishing for a good time starts with dropping in a line

Forum Apparel https://4wdadventurers.bigcartel.com/

Follow ujs on Insta and Facebook @pacs_adventures #4wdadventurerscom @4wdadventurers Facebook Thanks Greg

Standing for a month isnt going to help things. Has the fuel been standing in the saw or in a fuel can that you put into the saw. If it has been in the saw, make a new batch, drain the old batch out and put in the new batch, then start the saw.

Get hold of a decent log (18" or thereabouts) so you can cut biscuits (about 1cm thick). You dont want to leave the saw idling forever as it will go rich, and you dont want to run it at full throttle without giving it something to do.

Also if you can get hold of a fully synthetic oil for the 2 stroke mix that will help you. If you cant get Stihl Ultra then give Mobil 1 2T a go, or Castrol TTS.
    Regards
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham99 View Post
    Hi Everybody

I have been considering one of these as a chain sharpener. People I know who have used one really like it, and it is good for using in the field.

http://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

I think the cost is a bit exxy, but I am tempted to get one.

Regards
    Graham
    Graham - did you ever buy one of these sharpeners, and if so has it lived up to your expectations.

Lindsay

No I havent as of yet. Still on the file and saw gauges. I'm not too bad on the file for these things, as I am obsessive.

Still thinking of getting one. If I do I will post up details.
    Regards
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham99 View Post
    Standing for a month isnt going to help things. Has the fuel been standing in the saw or in a fuel can that you put into the saw. If it has been in the saw, make a new batch, drain the old batch out and put in the new batch, then start the saw.

Get hold of a decent log (18" or thereabouts) so you can cut biscuits (about 1cm thick). You dont want to leave the saw idling forever as it will go rich, and you dont want to run it at full throttle without giving it something to do.

Also if you can get hold of a fully synthetic oil for the 2 stroke mix that will help you. If you cant get Stihl Ultra then give Mobil 1 2T a go, or Castrol TTS.
    Errm my bad I did leave some in the saw and didn't empty it when I topped it up at Jacks so I should probably should make an entire new batch which I will do before I head over to Outback Jacks in another week where there is plenty of wood for me to give it a good workout so I'll let you know how I go and thanks again for the advise Graham

Happy to help. There may be some downed timber around Bendigo that you can cut into. BTW we knew people who lived in Strathfieldsaye, and I have been through Bendigo a few times.
    Regards
    Graham