Thread: Driza-bone Care

Driza-bone Care

i was given a drysabone jacket it real needs a oiling what type oil do i use and what is the process

This is the stuff you'll need, Driza-Bone Garment Dressing.

Instructions off the can are as follows:

1. Thoroughly wash garment in luke-warm water and plain soap
    2. Remove lid and warm contents until liquefied, then apply to cleaned and driy garment with a cloth
    3. Rub in vigorously and hang in sun or warm area to allow dressing to penetrate

N.B. Satisfactory results can be expected only when dressing is applied to genuine Driza-Bone garments.

PJ re oiled one of my Driza-bone jackets, but it was never as good as the coating from the factory.

Gary, I've got a Sydney Oilskin vest, do you know if the same method applies to that? Great vest for the high country, so I plan on looking after it. Any other general maintenance tips?

I have a Driza-Bone vest too, I keep it inside unlike my old 3/4 jacket that I bought when I was about 16.

The vest wasn't cheap and your right Tim it's sure good in the High Country!

Rich
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post
    Gary, I've got a Sydney Oilskin vest, do you know if the same method applies to that? Great vest for the high country, so I plan on looking after it. Any other general maintenance tips?
    Tim, I did a quick search on the net and found the following tips for oil skin redressing here. I see also that Driza-Bone now call it Oil Skin Reproofer:

To re-oil your coat, please follow these steps.

1) Clean your coat by soaking it in a bath tub or laundry basin of cold water – add a cap full of a mild liquid detergent (one that is suitable for woollen garments). Agitate the water for a few minutes and then allow the coat to soak overnight. Then rinse out your coat with fresh water. It is very important to remove all dust before applying the Driza-Bone garment dressing. If you do not remove dust: The garment dressing will stick to any dust remaining; when the dust dislodges it will leave tiny holes in the fabric exposed, which will leak.

2) Allow the coat to dry naturally.

3) Wait for a very hot day to re-oil: the hotter the day, the better the results. Place the coat in bright sunshine and allow it to heat up. Heat the garment dressing until it turns to liquid – this can be done by putting the can of dressing in the sun or a saucepan of hot water. At the hottest time of the day, sparingly apply the dressing to the coat, using a clean cloth. Add a little extra dressing to the seams. The sun will spread the dressing evenly and quickly through the coat fabric.

4) If you do not have a suitable climate then you will need a hand-held hair drier to work the dressing into the cloth.

5) Your coat will now be ready to give you full protection.

These are some care instructions from the Driza-Bone site:

THIS IS FOR OILSKIN GARMENTS ONLY

1. Please make sure you choose the correct size jacket so there is no undue stress on seams. Pulled seams may allow water to penetrate.

2. For long-lasting wear of your oilskin, please follow the washing / care instructions attached to the inside of the garment.

3. DO NOT wash with detergent or hot water. DO NOT dry clean, starch or iron (please see care label inside garment).

4. ALWAYS sponge down outer fabric with cold water when soiled, brush off dirt and marks.

5. If the garment is extremely dirty, use only a pure soap (eg Sunlight or Lux) to handwash. It is essential to reproof the garment after any washing.

6. ALWAYS hang garments in a dry, airy place to dry off naturally.

7. DO NOT store wet garments in a confined area.

8. DO NOT hang on radiators, expose to naked flame, or use artificial heat to dry.

9. DO NOT stitch through or repair the outside of the fabric unless absolutely necessary. However, if repairs need to be made, please make sure the area is re-proofed after repairing to prevent leaking.

10. The oil and wax proofing on your garment keeps you nice and dry, but can also rub off on other fabrics, furnishings and garments. So please be careful when wearing or storing your coat, and do not place next to porous surfaces.

IMPORTANT: How often your Driza-Bone needs re-proofing depends on the amount and type of usage it gets. To maintain its long service, regular monthly checks are suggested to ensure there are no dried-out areas where re-proofing has been worn away. Pay particular attention to crucial areas such as shoulders, neck seams and places subject to friction, e.g. pockets and creases in sleeves and knees. Use only original Driza-Bone Garment Dressing, as substitutes could harm the garment. Always store your Driza-Bone coat in a dry, well ventilated area. Do not place in a cupboard or plastic bag for long periods of time, otherwise it will become mouldy.

Thanks Gary. I shall be warm for years to come.

I have a Sydney oil skin as well that is starting to leak a little across the shoulders so this is great info for a bit of pre winter maintenance.

Great info.

I may be waiting for a while here in Victoria....."3) Wait for a very hot day to re-oil:"
    Last edited by Ridgie; 11-04-12 at 01:09 PM.

Nice Ridgie nice Graham