Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Biking, Do you do it? What do you ride? Images/Clips/Trips.

Mountain Biking, Do you do it? What do you ride? Images/Clips/Trips.

I was wondering if any other forum members are into Mountain Bike riding? I used to ride about 3-5 times a week. I rode a lot around the Dandenong Ranges when I lived at the foothills of them finding many awesome single tracks to explore I even used to ride 15km to work and back each way a few times a week. My first mountain bike was a hard tail with manitou shocks. After a few years it was time for an upgrade to dual suspension bike. I began riding with some great riders so this was a natural progression. It was when we began using an old Valiant loaded with 6 bikes loaded in the boot and on the roof doing "Runs" that the bike riding became more serious. We all even dabbled in racing, some did cross country and others (us older blokes) took part in elimination races where there were 4 racing at time over a set course downhill over obstacles. Ahh The good Ol' Days
    Well as times changed and kids came the bike riding took a backward step. Recently I have began riding again doing between 40-60km a week, and I'm really enjoying it!
    Enough of the chat this is what I ride, it's got a few years on it and alot of KMS' but it's a ripper bike that's great to ride!

SPECIALIZED FSR 99 MDL

SPECS
    FRAME-TIG Welded Alloy Mirror Blue
    FORKS-Rock Shock Judy C 3.5" travel, Magnesium/Aliminum Triple Clamp
    REAR SHOCK-Rock Shock Deluxe 4.3" Travel
    BRAKES-XT V PULL
    LEVERS-XT
    GEAR SET-LX Rear and Front Deraillieur
    CRANKSET- Specialized Comp Spec
    HANDLEBAR-Specialized SpecialRise
    RIMS-Mavic X138,32 holes
    SPOKES-DT Stainless steel 1.8mm straight guage

Ok now that all that is over I was wondering how everyone else transports there bikes? Whether it's there bike or the kids. I cant place my bike on a bike rack because of the frame. At the moment if I take it anywhere I have it on the roofrack. I do have a Rola brand bike mounting kit I should adapt to my tradesman rack one day!

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Touring Rich; 29-04-12 at 09:02 PM.
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Seriously Hooked
    Your old push bike looks like it's got some pretty trick gear on it Rich.

40 - 60 kms a week! You must be as fit as a fiddle.

Some nice photos there too, you should be in advertising.

That's a bit flash, I only have some Crapco mtb, don't ride it anywhere near enough, use to race mtbs when I was a kid for a little while but it all ended when I got a car.
    Cheers Dave

My farm ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Your old push bike looks like it's got some pretty trick gear on it Rich.

40 - 60 kms a week! You must be as fit as a fiddle.

Some nice photos there too, you should be in advertising.
    Not fit mate I have an Ambulance following me! The riding is fairly easy at the moment just getting the legs spinning. I follow a rail trail so its fairly flat. Where I live there a heaps of BIG long hills there being avoided at the moment!

Rich
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Seriously Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring Rich View Post
    Not fit mate I have an Ambulance following me!

Rich
    I'd have a hearse following me if I tried to ride those sort of kms. :p

Nice bike Rich. Dually's are to heavy for my laziness to haul up hills haha.

I ride Merida Matts Trails 700:

Frame MATTS TFS-Trail-Disc (Alloy)
    Fork Rock Shox Tora 100 SL lockout
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail 180
    DERA-F Shimano Deore 34.9 T-Swing
    DERA-R Shimano XT Top Normal
    Hubs - Shimano M475 disc
    Rim Mavic XM317 DISC
    Shifters - Shimano Deore rapidfire
    Tires - MERIDA Trail 2.25

These are the two methods i used t used to carry it on my old vehicle. I quickly canned the rooftop, as it was too much effort. Although, not so as I could walk it up the tub. Still not that easy though.

For those who are interested, this was covered on a jeep forum i frequent. One bloke posted up this mob http://www.isi-carriers.com/ . They look great, are a local product, and are actually designed for off road use (most - if not all - thule, rhino etc are not for offroad). They are seemingly expensive (~$500 for base model), but when you consider the thousands a bike cost, they are not bad at all. If youre keen on these, spend half hour reading the web site, you will be amazed at the offerings - I was. For note: I have no affiliation, nor do I own one currently, but I will be purchasing later this year.

Rich go to the 'adventurers' section on iSi page and scroll half way down for a GU Patrol loaded up. looks great.

Edit: oh yeah and im smack in the middle between you yangs mtb park and the forest mtv trails - winner!

Tim
    Last edited by tcf; 10-03-12 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks posting up some informative info Tim, Great looking bike! I'm behind the times mate Disc brakes weren't to common when I bought mine! I'll checkout the link too. I think its time to get the bike mounting system worked out from mine.

We have some awesome single tracks in our area. Some are hidden and I'm still yet to workout where they are! I have seen them on You Tube though!

Cheers
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Got a Norco hardtail single speed that goes with the camper most trips for just general tooling around.

Also have a Giant AC2 with Marzocchi DO4 forks with 150mm travel for the local DH trails. Was really getting into the DH until a walking speed over the bars incident sprained my left wrist pretty badly and left internal scar tissue that still twinges now 5 years later from time to time. Did this a week before going on our family camping trip for 2 weeks. Realise camping and family are more fun than DH by myself.
    Still, at 6" of travel, it is still a plush bike to ride.:cool:
    Cheers Jon

TCF, Tim I just checkout that link you posted, there are some great set ups there mate thanks heas for the info!
    Your right about that patrol it looked very schmick!
    Cheers
    rich
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

Have ridden mountain bikes for the past 20 years and not quite as much of late. I run all Giant bikes and my current crop is an old Atx 990 dually with magura hydraulic brakes and also an AC3 which I have just fixed up as the kids want to ride. I used to race a DH1 on the dowhill race circuit almost 10 years ago and miss it heaps, change of jobs and location put a stop to racing. I will try and find some photos if I get a chance.

Thats almost a classic bike you have their Rich

GG