Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mudducks Camper

Bitumen! A complete waste of money. mudduck's Avatar

Mudducks Camper

Hi all,

I've done a write up on the truck so I thought I'd do one on our trailer.

Its a 2008 Ultimate Camper, its a cross between an odyssey and an elite, we bought it at the change over time.
    As Ultimates go its not that different, but I have done some mods to it.
    Our version has the old kitchen so I had no access below the draws so I cut in some new cupboards, I also changed the reverse/camp light from a halogen to LED. I have also changed the jockey wheel from pneumatic to solid rubber, carpeted all storage areas and replaced interior light from fluro to LED. Most recently I have replaced the Dometic 3 way fridge with an Engel ST90 compressor 2 way.Anyway here's some pix.

LED rear light

Cupboards under draws

Now the Fridge

Just a few shots set up camping

Thats it for now
    Last edited by mudduck; 09-07-17 at 06:37 AM.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD
    2010 200 Series twin turbo V8 Diesel 200kw of screaming Toyota Muscle
    2017 Ford Ranger turbo diesel with some stuff

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Seriously Hooked
    You would have picked up a bit of storage space by cutting in the new cupboards under the sink Steve. It surprising how much stuff you can fit in spots like that. I bet you double checked everything a dozen times before taking the plunge with the grinder.

After seeing the photos of your camper set up, as well as the Patrol and camper combo pics, I've got a funny suspicion that I've seen it somewhere along the line when we've been out camping. Not sure where though.

Great set up there Steve. When we are up the top end we often see plenty if Ultimates compared to down south. Must be the great ventilation that have. When I was working at the Bendigo Camping show last year the Ultimate stand was right next door and they had plenty of traffic there the entire 3 days.

Cheers
    Rich
    SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT"S CAMPING!
    My Touring GU Patrol
    Instagram

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSp...aj_9r3zvu9wNFg

Best mate has a Ultimate, bloody well put together and engineered.
    Nice mods you have made. I know the fridges OEM or not the best, and changing them out is common. I like there feature for cooling the fridges with the air vents under the body.
    Cheers
    Adam aka Smokey

2.8's Sound great, but a worked 3.0L goes better

Is it beer o'clock yet? outback jack's Avatar
    looks good steve, love the last pic

EVERYWHERE I GO I BRING HAPPINESS, SOMETIMES ITS WHEN I ARRIVE, BUT ITS USUALLY WHEN I LEAVE

Thanks guys, we love our Ulti, and yep pretty scared when taking to it with the grinder. Good idea Gary I might investigate under the sink, also Gary we will have to meet up camping sometime.
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Thats a ripper Steve and great work with the extra storage mods I dream of the day that our pov pack CT gets replaced thanks for sharing

Forum Master
    Cool camper mate.

Thanks for posting up what you have done. I love it when someone's not afraid to chop into a flash bit of gear.

Hi all, just spent part of the easter weekend doing a dual battery upgrade into our Ulti 779 which is 6 years old and still had the original battery in it. With a trip to Cape York coming up in July I figured it was time to upgrade and renew tho old system, (also it would be my luck the old battery would fail on the Cape).

So after some discussion with local battery supplier "Newcastle Batteries" I opted for 2 6volt AGM's in series at 210Ah. This turned out to be a challenge with new brackets to be made to hold them in, as well as mooing the Ctek charger and installation of my Redarc 1225 into the battery box.

Now the reasoning for 2 6V in series as opposed to 2 12V in parallel is 2 fold, firstly is the fact that the 2 batteries must charge and discharge at an equal rate as they are in series. 12V batteries in parallel can sometime discharge at different rates even when heavy linking cables are used. Secondly (and a big one) is cost, $218 each is much better value than the 300+ for good 12 volters (inho).

You'll see in the pix I have retained (for now) my old Ctek charger but have room for a bigger one in the future, but I believe it will be ok for the time being. So here's the pix enjoy

Stripped compartment

Chargers on front wall.

New carpet in place

Battery brckets bent and painted (yes they're pink, long story lol)

Bracing in wheel arch compartment under lounge

Finished install ( I like it)

Hope this is of use to anyone
    Last edited by mudduck; 09-07-17 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling again!!! God I'm hopeless lmao
    Cheers Steve. VK2UD

200 Tourer
    Ranger
    Camper

Youtube

Seriously Hooked
    Interesting about the 6 volt batteries being cheaper. Something to keep in mind.